Tuesday, December 21, 2010

fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/dm-1 [FAILED]


I was mucking around with my Storwize V7000 storage array that was connected to my Red Hat Linux server. Then I went back to my Red Hat server and started configuring couple of applications on it, and then rebooted the machine.

The boot process stopped, and I got the message:
Checking filesystems
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/dm-1 [FAILED]
*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintainance
(or type Control-D to continue):

I realised  that in the processing of mucking around with the storage I had removed then volume(LUN) that I had created, and then mapped onto the Red Hat server. I had then created a ext3 file system on that volume.

It was this volume(LUN) that the boot process was complaining about.

To fix the issue, I logged into the machine in single user mode with my root password. The fix is rather straight forward, uncomment the mount point line in the /etc/fstab file.

You will see that you won't be able to do that, so what you need to do is mount / in read write mode.

#  mount -o remount,rw /

# vi /etc/fstab

comment out the line, and then reboot the machine. There you go, it's fixed!!!

7 comments:

goutham said...

nice document.i was working on the same issue it worked for me



thank you

k.goutham

Mayur said...

Thanks for your feedback Goutham.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

This worked! Thanks

Mayur said...

I'm glad it helped. Thanks for leaving a comment.

Garg said...

nice document.. its helpful for me

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for the post. Really very helful.

Bachir